Back to reality. And it was a cold, hard bite too. Got on the plane in San Diego Tuesday morning, it was 80 and sunny. Got off the plane in Detriot, it was 18, cold, and dark. Got off the plane in Rochester and it was 15, cold, dark, and there was snow on the ground. Welcome home.
School on Wednesday was rough. We didn’t climb into bed until after 130am on Wednesday morning and my alarm went off at 530am regardless of the fact that I tossed and turned all night, getting almost no sleep. Thankfully it was my first day with new groups of students, so it was mostly going over how class will run, rules, get to know you games, house keeping type stuff. I didn’t stay for track practice afterwards. I was nodding off driving home I was so exhausted and barely kept my eyes open all evening. I crawled into bed shortly past 7pm and crashed. And surprisingly was startled by my alarm at 530 on Thursday. Even after more than 10 hours of sleep I struggled to get up. I would have slept a lot longer. Dang job.
I will have a full recap of some vacation highlights and of course a full race report of the RunDisney Avengers Half Marathon. It was something else, that’s for sure, and I have a ton to say about it.
Today though is in fact Friday, so I’m linking up with Cynthia, Mar, and Courtney for some Friday Five action. Today’s theme is favorite fall foods too, which is awesome. Fall has some of the best food so I can totally get in on this idea.
1. Anything pumpkin- Yes, it is true, I do love pumpkin. PSL, pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, pumpkin cheesecake. It’s all delicious and I will never turn my nose at pumpkin foods. For the last few years I’ve been making pumpkin poke cake too, which is amazing, delicious, and downright addicting, as well as insanely simple to make. It’s just a box of spice cake mix mixed together with a can of pumpkin puree. Bake to the specification on the cake box. After it’s done, I use the handle of a smaller utensil, and poke holes all over in the cake. Once you’ve poked some holes in, pore a whole can of sweeten condensed milk over top of the whole cake. Cover and refrigerate over night. Top it with whipped cream, heath bar crumble, and caramel sauce. Done! This year I’m going to swap out whipped cream for cream cheese frosting I think. Go big, right?
2. Chili- While I don’t eat any beef or pork, I still love a good chili. I’ll eat any vegetarian kind and I usually make mine with turkey. Load it with beans, vegetables, and spice it up really well and it’s the perfect thing to eat on a cold fall or winter day. I have my protein powered turkey chili recipe here as well if you’re looking for a good one. Feel free to swap out turkey for beef if that’s your thing.
3. Stuffing- I freaking love stuffing. Or as some people call it, dressing (weirdos). I mean really, it’s seasoned bread. How can you not love that? I will typically make some baked stuffing too since I don’t like it totally soggy, but it’s still good right out of the turkey too. Honestly, I could cook a whole box of stovetop stuffing for a meal and be perfectly content with that as my dinner. Yum!
4. Mashed Potatoes- While not exclusive to fall, mashed potatoes are ah-mazing. And lets be honest here, they’re the best when smothered in gravy then mixed with turkey and corn, which is basically Thanksgiving, so I tend to associate them with fall. I love me some good mashed potatoes. Mmmmm.
5. Green Bean Casserole- This might seem like the odd one out, but it’s a food that I only get to have at Thanksgiving. And I love it when it’s made with some nice heavy cream soup and has the crunchy onions on top. Possibly the most unhealthy way to eat green beans, but definitely the yummiest. It’s a food that it a treat to me since I don’t ever eat it other than once a year. And it’s fabulous.
And speaking of Thanksgiving, I only have to work two days next week then I get a five day weekend for the holiday, weeeee!!!! Yay! Just gotta work through a few more days!
What’s you favorite fall food?
What’s the one food item that you consider the most important staple of Thanksgiving dinner?