I’m doing things a little different today and decided to join my fellow Tri Talk Tuesday co-host Cynthia from You Signed Up For What and her fellow DC blogger buddies for their Friday Five series.
Their theme for today is Friday Favorites. So in honor of summer, a season I have mixed feelings about, I thought I’d share my favorite things about summer!
1. The Living’s Easy- Summa’ tiiimmmeeee, and the livin’s easy! Because who doesn’t like to serenade themselves with a little Sublime when the weather is just that. It’s that time of year where life feels like life slows down
don’t look at my race schedule, it’s a lie and it’s just easier to kick your feet up and relax.
2. Swimming- Yes, it’s true I swim year round, sort of. But doing laps in the pool for race training is far from what I mean. But I mean lounging in the water to just enjoy the water. It used to be swimming in the lake at camp for 13 years for me, but now that I’m not at camp anymore we get into Seneca Lake quite a bit in the summer to just relax in the cool, clear, natural waters. So nice.
3. Adventuring- Rob and I like to take adventures. We’ve just about driven across country twice now, took a mostly spur of the moment weekend trip to Florida, and even spent our honeymoon driving up the west coast. It’s no secret we love to just take off and explore. And in the summer when extra time is easier to come by, we often times take weekend escape type trips. Whether it’s camping out for Rat Snake weekend, or hitting up the Herkimer Diamond Mines and the Baseball Hall of Fame, we love to just go out be adventurous!
4. The Weather (sometimes)- I think this is where my sometimes mixed feelings on summer come from. But so far this year I’ve been enjoying the mild weather. I don’t like when it’s super hot and humid to pea soup level, both of which are pretty normal for Central New York. But this summer has been primarily mid-70’s and sunny with little to no humidity. That’s pretty perfect as far as I’m concerned, so I’ll take it! But what I really love about summer weather is running in it! There is nothing nicer than going out in the morning when the light is soft and the day’s not hot yet and getting a good run in while enjoying the summer scenery. It’s pure joy!
5. Race Season- If you’ve seen my race line up for this year then you know. Summer here in CNY means race season and since we have a short time frame before winter comes roaring back, they cram in as many as they can. I love racing, obviously, so I’m doing as much as I can this year after the nasty winter we endured.
Summer and I may have a love hate relationship, but overall I’m very happy the nice weather is here and here to stay for a bit longer still!
What’s your favorite thing about summer?