This winter, I don’t think it will ever end. When I got up yesterday it was -10F with a windchill of -29F. For real, -29F, those are some seriously cold temperatures. And school didn’t even give us a delay. Even my car cried a little when I started it to leave the house at 630am. And I park in a garage!
I miss being outside and running in the outside world. My basement is fine and the gym is okay, but sometimes you just need some fresh air. And while I have run in some very snowy weather before and I have run in some very cold weather before, -29F is beyond my comfort level. That’s a max for me, for sure.
But looking ahead at the weather, it seems it might actually start to warm up a bit. And I say that with some sarcasm because temperatures in the teens isn’t actually very warm, but when you’ve acclimated to sub-zero temperatures it suddenly feels like a heat wave. And by March it looks as though we may see high 20’s even low 30’s! Hello running weather! Remember a few years ago when the entire month of March was in the 80’s? Yeah, me too.
Anyhoo, with the thoughts of spring slowly approaching, my mind is starting to shift to moving my running back outside. however, 20’s and 30’s aren’t super warm, so making sure you have the right gear is essential. So, I thought I’d go ahead and share my list of all my must have cold weather running gear!
1. Good socks- I do run in my regular running shoes, even when I’m trotting through fresh snowfall, so good socks are definitely necessary. I typically use hiking socks that are meant to withstand some weather and keep the heat in. I have a few different brands that I rotate through, but have found hiking socks to really have the durability, warmth, and wicking capability to withstand some frigid and snowy temperatures.
2. Running tights- Full length tights, including something with a bit more of a high waist too just for a little extra layering. My preference is Under Armour and I own a couple of pairs of cold weather running tights by them.
3. Base layer- My all time favorite base layer for cold weather running are my never ending collection of fleece lined compression mock turtle neck tops. I own quite a few Nike and Under Armour variations of this and always, always, always wear one if it’s going to be in the 30’s or below.
4. Top layer- I really only have one go to for this. My one, my only, my love, my Pearl Izumi Elite Infinity Jacket. I found this on clearance at Dick’s a couple of years ago and basically live in it all spring and fall as well as train through the winter in it. It’s amazing and I adore it.
5. Gloves- Depending on just how cold it is, I will sometimes throw on some gloves. Granted no matter how cold it is they always come off by the first mile, my hands just get warm, but if I don’t at least start with them then I’m definitely hurting. I have Nike fleece lined running gloves and they are fabulous.
6. Hat- I actually don’t have my own legit winter running hat. The perk of wearing over the ear bluetooth headphones is that my ears stay nice and warm. But I do on occasion put one on. I usually
steal borrow my husband’s Marmot winter beanie.
Hopefully with the temperatures climbing above zero I can finally start getting outside again. Someday it’ll be spring. Someday!
And don’t forget; if there’s something you need to add to your cold weather running gear collection, you can get 15% off your completely purchase at all3sports.com by using coupon code TRIGIRL15 at check out!
What’s your threshold for cold weather running?
What is one piece of must have cold weather running gear you love?