Tri Talk Tuesday – 5 Tips For Successfully Reaching Your Racing Goals

Oh January, you show up all full of promise and hope. It’s a new year and it’s also Tuesday, so I’m hear with Cynthia from You Signed Up For What and Phaedra from Blisters and Black Toenails to chat about triathlon goodness!

TTTbadge

Our January theme is of course, goals and resolutions, as if you haven’t been inundated enough with that thanks to the new year. So in case you missed it, here’s my goals for the new year-

1. Rebuild my run (I’m still inconsistent and very slow since my calf tear)
2. Lose weight (…again)
3. Workout with my tri club once a week (new work schedule makes this one difficult)
4. Run at least 500 miles (going easy on myself this year)
5. Cycle at least 1500 miles
6. Get certified to teach spinning
7. Workout three times a week minimum

All those things are well and good, but it’s not just about making goals, it’s about knowing what it takes to successfully reach those goals. So here’s some things you can do to help make sure you have success of crossing that finish line just as you’d hoped for.

5-tips-for-reaching-race-goals

1. Plan, plan, plan ahead- If your goal is race related, planning is something you can never have enough of. Don’t believe me? How to plan a race season, race day prep and planning, race day fueling prep and planning, triathlon packing check list, how to create your race day plan, and a million other things you might need to know before race day to be totally prepared.

2. Be realistic- Whether that means knowing your fitness base and picking a race goal that fits what you can actually build up to. If you’ve only run up to a 10k, it’s unrealistic to think you might run a full Ironman this season at this point, but a sprint or Olympic distance would definitely be doable. Or it might mean, but don’t overload yourself. If you take on too much you won’t be able to keep up and eventually you face crashing or injury. I know, I’ve been there before. Being realistic is probably the best thing you could do for yourself in terms of being successful in reaching your goals.

3. Train smart- Either find a plan online or in a good training book that works for you, build your own if you have the know how and understand all the working parts that go into crafting a well put together plan, or hire a coach. If you don’t train correctly for the race distance you’re gearing up for, you face crashing and burning, hitting the wall, screwing up your nutrition, injury, or a DNF, amongst plenty other things that could go wrong. Training is more than just swimming, biking, and running. Be smart about it and do your due diligence to make sure your plan and planning are solid and you’ll have the race you’re dreaming of.

4. It’s okay to lose steam- We all go through ups and downs in terms of motivation. It’s super normal to hit a point during training where you begin to question your sanity, wonder what on earth you’ve gotten yourself into, and skip a workout or two in lieu of having a pity party. And the good news? We’ve all been there. So when it happens to you, eat a pint of Ben and Jerry’s go ahead and question your sanity, then go for a nice long ride, run, or swim to clear your head. Remind yourself that there’s no better feeling than crossing that finish line and surge on. This feeling generally lingers for about a week. Take a recovery week, get your head back on straight, and you’ll be good to go in no time.

5. Don’t lose sight of what’s important- And I mean this in more way than one. Don’t let your family and life go to the way side when you start getting into the thick of training. Life still goes on regardless and your family can be biggest support system, so make sure they know you still appreciate them. Also, remember why you set out to accomplish your goal in the first place. That can be any reason in the world, but whatever it means to you hold onto it. That’s what will keep you going through long hard workouts and those wanes in motivation.

Any other advice for reaching a race related goal?

What’s you big race goal for 2015?

Tri Talk Tuesday gets together every first Tuesday of the month to chat about all things triathlon. The theme for February 3, 2015’s Tri Talk Tuesday is Training Plans! Get ready to link up!

Loading InLinkz ...

23 Thoughts on “Tri Talk Tuesday – 5 Tips For Successfully Reaching Your Racing Goals

1. Great tips! I especially like the point about being realistic. I think, too often, people jump into the New Years with goals that are unrealistic for where they are in terms of health and fitness. And then when they don’t reach those goals, they give up completely.
    My big triathlon goal for 2015 is to finish my first 70.3!
    Liz @ Loving to Tri recently posted…Tri Talk Tuesday: Goal SettingMy Profile

2. I don’t really have any real big race goals in 2015. I have several goals that I want to accomplish this year. I would have to say two of my biggest goals would be 1) finish a tri of some distance and 2) participate in at least 12 events/races this year.
    The Famous Mudder recently posted…Welcome to 2015!My Profile

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on January 7, 2015 at 11:02 am said:

yay for your first tri! 12 events will be fun. Are you going to aim for one a month the whole year, or just however they fall?

3. Being realistic is important to me – I’d love to sign up for a full Ironman but I just cannot fit in the training at this stage in my life, so I’m realistic!
    Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! recently posted…Tri Talk Tuesday: Triathlon Goals 2015My Profile

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on January 7, 2015 at 11:02 am said:

It’s definitely most important to be realistic. No sense in setting yourself up for failure.

4. Ha ha ha ha….you and I are on the same page sistah! Be realistic!! It’s such a HUGE part in goal setting! Good list of tips!
    Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails recently posted…Tri Talk Tuesday: Goal SettingMy Profile

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on January 7, 2015 at 11:03 am said:

Definitely huge! And I’m totally guilty of being unrealistic too.

5. I love this entire post.
    IreneR recently posted…My 2015 Racing GoalsMy Profile

6. I love your 5 tips for reaching your race goals. the tip about losing steam is an important one because we all go through ups and downs when training! thanks for hosting this link-up!
    Sandra Laflamme recently posted…Dream Big. It’s time to set some new goals.My Profile

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on January 7, 2015 at 11:04 am said:

It’s definitely difficult to stay completely motivated for a whole training cycle. Glad you enjoyed the link up!

7. Love your goals! I’m excited you’re becoming a spin instructor, I would totally take your class!
    Kristen recently posted…My Plans for 2015My Profile

8. cheryl on January 7, 2015 at 6:04 am said:

I got in over 500 miles of running this last year (had an injury!), 1700 miles of cycling and 91 miles of swimming for 2014. It was a “soft” mileage year for me due to a busy schedule and the damn baker’s cyst behind my knee, and a big move to a new community! Jumping into my 35th tri year with realistic goals-and saving my BIG goal (another Ironman) for when I retire so I can focus on that Kona spot!
    My only advice would be to have FUN during the training/racing so you keep at it….and don’t take other people’s advice too seriously.

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on January 7, 2015 at 11:05 am said:

I hope I can keep tri-ing for 35 years! Good luck reaching for your KQ!

9. cheryl on January 7, 2015 at 6:05 am said:

My only advice would be to have FUN during training/racing so you keep at it….and don’t take other people’s advice too seriously.

10. Great list!! I would add make sure to have specific goals that have a time frame and can be measured. There is a huge difference between having a goal of “running a 5K on May 1, 2015” vs. “running a 5K on May 1, 2015 and setting a new PR.” It is much easier to slough off for the first goal without having a more specific goal to work toward. Being more specific will allow you to plan better and keep focused on that goal.

My #1 goal for 2015 is to break 14 hours at Ironman Boulder on August 2 😉

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on January 7, 2015 at 11:07 am said:

Yes! Specific definitely makes a difference, great add on. I need to make sure my short course races like 5k and 10k’s have a time attached to them. I know I can do them without training, so it’s easy to be complacent when running them.

11. For me, one of the most important components of goal setting is being able to re-evaluate goals and adjust if need be. As I make progress or experience setbacks throughout the year, my goals may change or shift. For example, last year was going really well and I knew I could go beyond the goals I had set for myself, so I had to modify. Keeping an open mind is important. I also agree with being realistic and to plan plan plan. I am a planner and would not accomplish goals without a plan.
    Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted…IMCanada Week One: And So It BeginsMy Profile

12. when i did my half in october, during training i realized its okay to lose motivation, be flexible with schedule..although it was not my PR, i finished the race with no injury which was my priority.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Blogger of the Week : Shashi @RunninSrilankanMy Profile

13. My husband and I are getting back into tris this year. Hope to do a sprint distance in June. Unfortunately I still need to figure out how to fit in running training (I also would like to do a 10K, half marathon) and also whether I’d be able to fit in training for an Olympic distance yet this year before the snow flies here in Michigan. Love the idea of finding a coach 🙂
    Wendy @ Wholistic Woman recently posted…Is Happiness the Key to Weight Loss?My Profile