Weekly Recap – Post IMCuse Recovery

Happy Monday!

A big thank you for all the wonderful support and love from everyone on my race report. Truly amazing that so many people were excited about my accomplishment and found some inspiration in it. All of you inspire me to work harder and be my best at this sport. Really amazing, truly.

weeklyrecapbanner

So, what did my post race recovery week look like?

Not much, ha!

Monday I was pretty sore and creaky. I took the day off work and the most moving around I did was walking Griswold. I wasn’t too sore though and was able to go about my day at home as normal. Just stiff and going up and down the stairs was tough. Tuesday was similar, albeit I was a lot less sore.

Wednesday I was feeling better, a bit of muscle fatigue but all my soreness was gone. I did my first post race workout. I wandered into the gym after work and did an easy two mile run on the treadmill. I actually felt good during the run and my heart stayed nice and low the whole time.

Thursday I did make it to spinning, but I only stayed for half the class. I have a Big Life thing going on right now that was completely eating away at my brain, so while sweating it out in spin calmed my stress, I still had stuff to do so I bailed early. It felt like a fair compromise. And as long as the last piece of the puzzle falls perfectly into place today I should be able to share the exciting news.

The weekend saw no formal workouts. I finally cleaned my house, which was long overdue… so much dog hair. Because something’s gotta give during training and it’s house work, always house work. Swept, vacuumed, scrubbed the bathroom and kitchen. Hubby also decided it’s finally time to tackle the basement. Our basement is unfinished and the floors are painted an awful blood red that has cracked and peeled. Whoever made that choice back in the day, ugh. Drylock, so much drylock. On all the walls, all the floors, everywhere. Hauling stuff out of the basement, moving things, scrubbing, painting. And then we’ll start framing and we’re planning to finish off two rooms down there. A large bedroom with a closet and a half bath/laundry room combo since it’s already plumbed. Because houses in Geneva come with random basement toilets. That was apparently all the rage some decades ago. The good news is the toilet is gone, the sewer hole is capped off, and once we finish drylocking we can get to work on framing, drywalling, hanging ceiling, flooring, installing, everything. Because just everything. Home ownership, oomph.

That’s about for last week. This week should be back to normal. I plan to get back into my typical training grind. I have Musselman in two weeks and I am seriously waffling on whether I want to stick with the sprint I’m registered for or switch to the half iron. What to do, what to do…

I do have one of my Bestie’s bachelorette party this weekend, so we’ll see how my foodtoalcoholtotraining ratio works out. Probably not in favor of training, that’s how.

medal2

medal3

One more time for good measure. I’ve been wearing my finishers hat a lot. Actually, let’s be honest here, I’ve been wearing all my IM Syracuse gear a lot!

Biggest race accomplishment you’ve ever had? Tell me about it!

14 Thoughts on “Weekly Recap – Post IMCuse Recovery

1. Congratulations! Love the medal and swag…my sister went to Syracuse, I always had a fun time visiting her there! Nice to see you’re recovering nicely!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…June Recap: So Busy But Lots of Fun!My Profile

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on July 2, 2014 at 7:46 am said:

Thanks! Syracuse is a pretty decent little city!

2. Biggest race accomplishment…that is a great question! Probably finishing my first half…overall that is the best because I had really stepped up the hard work to train for that race. I also finished in way under my goal time, which was the icing on the cake! Also, last year when I raced Raleigh 70.3, I PR’ed the bike and hit a goal that I did not think I would hit because the course was more challenging than the bike course on the first half I raced. It is nice to share these great memories!!

Glad you are enjoying some rest and down time after your big race…you deserve it!!!
    Lee@tri*inspired*life recently posted…Ironman Lake Placid Training Week #19My Profile

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on July 2, 2014 at 7:47 am said:

Love hearing your accomplishments! It’s inspiring to hear other’s talk about their triumphs. Great job PR’ing on a more difficult course!

3. Finished my 2nd triathlon on Saturday (1st was beginning of the month). I had no idea what my time would be but my goal was 1 hr 45 minutes, the same as my first. When I came in, the clock said 1:51 and I was a bit sad about that but upon receiving my official time, it was 1:37! I was so happy with that considering it’s 3 minutes faster than my first and the bike course was so incredibly hilly!
    I need to learn to have faith in my abilities and push myself hard and run the entire run portion. I can do it, I just get tired and lay off a bit and shouldn’t.

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on July 2, 2014 at 7:48 am said:

Awesome! Race clock is never exact to your time, so don’t worry what that says. Congrats on crushing your time goal!!!

4. Wear that race gear all you want girl, you deserved it! I tend to wear my race swag for weeks on end following a race… especially a big race. Glad to see you are feeling good post race!! Biggest race accomplishment… hmm.. that’s a tough one.. probably finishing my very first marathon, the Boston Marathon in 2013, where I qualified for the 2014 Boston Marathon! I’m guessing finishing my IM will top that:)
    Kristin (@SweatCourage) recently posted…IMMT Training Recap {Week 8}My Profile

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on July 2, 2014 at 7:49 am said:

I would definitely think the Boston Marathon qualifies as HUGE accomplishment. That is definitely a (far out) dream of mine. Maybe someday!

5. You totally earned a week that is lighter in terms of workouts! I can’t wait to hear your BIG news!! My biggest race accomplishment was running the Boston Marathon. While I had run the marathon distance before, Boston is just incredible!
    Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles recently posted…Weekly Wrap UpMy Profile

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on July 2, 2014 at 7:51 am said:

I think we’re planning to go watch Boston next year. I don’t think I’ll be qualifying any time soon, but I can only imagine what an incredible and indescribable experience Boston must be.

6. Biggest race accomplishment would probably be my second half marathon. My goal for my first half was to finish under 2 hours. I finished in 2:00:18. I was so frustrated to have been seconds away from my goal. I really stepped up my training and in about 3 months I managed to take 12 minutes off of my time.

• Courtney@ The TriGirl Chronicles on July 2, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

12 minutes in 3 months!? Holy crap that is incredible!

7. Your post race week sounds exactly like mine! A lot of rest, a lot of cleaning, and a lot of taking care of things that got set aside during training. Glad to see you are still riding your half IM high and wearing your gear with pride. I rock mine all the time. I can’t believe you’re considering do another 70.3 that soon! I had planned to do the same, but switched to the Olympic distance just to give my body some time off. Either way, you’ll rock it. Any Ironmans in your future?
    Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted…Top Ten Finish At The Pacific Crest Olympic TriathlonMy Profile

8. Pingback: Will Run For Work |